Reload this Page Louie Roberts
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Louie Roberts
Old
  (#1)
robertg
AzB Silver Member
robertg has a reputation beyond reputerobertg has a reputation beyond reputerobertg has a reputation beyond reputerobertg has a reputation beyond reputerobertg has a reputation beyond reputerobertg has a reputation beyond reputerobertg has a reputation beyond reputerobertg has a reputation beyond reputerobertg has a reputation beyond reputerobertg has a reputation beyond reputerobertg has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Louie Roberts - 05-27-2013, 12:57 PM

Louie Roberts,1982 Caesars Tahoe Classic.
Attached Images

Pics
Old
  (#2)
Arlene
AzB Bronze Member
Arlene has a reputation beyond reputeArlene has a reputation beyond reputeArlene has a reputation beyond reputeArlene has a reputation beyond reputeArlene has a reputation beyond reputeArlene has a reputation beyond reputeArlene has a reputation beyond reputeArlene has a reputation beyond reputeArlene has a reputation beyond reputeArlene has a reputation beyond reputeArlene has a reputation beyond repute

Pics - 05-27-2013, 07:26 PM

Very nice pic of Louie Roberts! Also the one of Cole was great. Do you have a website to view the pics? I would be interested in purchasing a few if they were for sale.

Arlene

Old
  (#3)
Tim
AzB Silver Member
Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTim has a reputation beyond reputeTim has a reputation beyond reputeTim has a reputation beyond reputeTim has a reputation beyond reputeTim has a reputation beyond reputeTim has a reputation beyond reputeTim has a reputation beyond reputeTim has a reputation beyond reputeTim has a reputation beyond reputeTim has a reputation beyond repute

05-27-2013, 08:11 PM

Lets see some other Louie Roberts pictures.

Old
  (#4)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

05-27-2013, 08:29 PM

He was movie star handsome, and had the same charisma as well!

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order Pool Wars

Old
  (#5)
DTL
AzB Silver Member
DTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond repute

05-27-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertg View Post
Louie Roberts,1982 Caesars Tahoe Classic.
I met Louie when I was 24 years old in Austin,TX.

The ? River City Open was going on and everyone that was anyone in pool was there. I think Hopkins won it with MIke Gulyassy finishing second. Gulyassy was essentially an unknown then and I knew he had a shot at winning as he robbed Scotty Townsend gambling earlier in the week at the poolroom where all the action games were happening.

Anyway, back to Louie. I'd just gotten discharged from a four year stint in the Air Force and was sort of on the road playing pool. The poolroom mentioned above was called Moryours(?) and the action that week was unbelievable. I saw Louie play Nick Varner one night even and couldn't get out to save his life. Then a couple days later he played a top shelf road player giving him the 7 out and didn't miss a ball for 3 hours.............still to this day the best pool I've ever witnessed.

At the end of the week Louie was busted, a common theme during his pool career. I had just made the largest score of my life and he took notice. We got to talking afterwards and he told me all about his time in the Air Force and how he demonstrated his pool skills to his Commanding Officer who later arranged for his early discharge so that he could pursue his dreams of being a professional pool player. I knew he was gonna hit me up for some money but he had a way of making you like him. Knowing I'd never get it back I ended up giving him a few hundred dollars for his trip back to LA.

That's my Louie story. Sorry for the poor writing.

DTL

Old
  (#6)
gulyassy
Custom Cues Since 1986
gulyassy has a reputation beyond reputegulyassy has a reputation beyond reputegulyassy has a reputation beyond reputegulyassy has a reputation beyond reputegulyassy has a reputation beyond reputegulyassy has a reputation beyond reputegulyassy has a reputation beyond reputegulyassy has a reputation beyond reputegulyassy has a reputation beyond reputegulyassy has a reputation beyond reputegulyassy has a reputation beyond repute

05-27-2013, 10:59 PM

Do you remember Hopkins coming in to the finals dressed in shorts and a t shirt and I was in a suit and tie. And remember I had run the first 5 racks on Hopkins in the race to 9 finals and he started playing safe even when he could get out. He was a very experienced player and I was as green as the felt. I even remember my draw. Jimmy Reid, Pat Fleming, Steve Mizerak, Grady Mathews, Larry Hubbard, David Matlock and then Allen Hopkins. I never saw Louie Roberts at the tournament but met him at Jack Johnson's last call for nine ball in Atlantic City. We played in the second round and I won and ended up 3rd and 4th. This was my first year in professional pool and it was good.

A Louis Story .......
Old
  (#7)
1 Lone Wolf
AzB Silver Member
1 Lone Wolf has a reputation beyond repute1 Lone Wolf has a reputation beyond repute1 Lone Wolf has a reputation beyond repute1 Lone Wolf has a reputation beyond repute1 Lone Wolf has a reputation beyond repute1 Lone Wolf has a reputation beyond repute1 Lone Wolf has a reputation beyond repute1 Lone Wolf has a reputation beyond repute1 Lone Wolf has a reputation beyond repute1 Lone Wolf has a reputation beyond repute1 Lone Wolf has a reputation beyond repute

Wink A Louis Story ....... - 05-27-2013, 11:18 PM

I remember back in the mid 1980's There was a tournament in Pickneyville, Ill. It is a town about 25 miles from Johnson City Ill. There were still a lot of the old timers around that went to a lot of the Johnson City that came to watch. It was a bar table event, It started on Friday and ended on Sunday.
Louis rode up to the tournament with Little Ricky, Windowman, And I think it was Watchez. Not for sure about Watchez, I think so because he was alway's with Ricky.
Well Sunday came and the tournament just got over, I think I won that one. Any way Louis started woofing at me to play. In the meantime it started storming like hell outside. Louis told me he would give me the 7 on the 1 Gold Crown they had. So I agreed and I busted him.
Now anyone that knew Louie, He wasn't ready to quit. He told me he would play me some 1 Pocket. I couldn't spell 1 Pocket. Long story short I think he gave me 10-6 or something like that. I , Was a bar box player, And that was by far, My best game.
A. . nyway I figured if I played a little smart I may have a chance. Louis never saw a shot he couldn't make.
Well the proposition went like this, Louis couldn't get staked any more that night, So he agreed to put up his cue agains't $ 500. We played and I won, My theory was to keep leaving him ridiculous long shots. That night they weren't going in.
Now it is like 3am , it is rainy foggy, Just plain nasty out. Louis handed me his cue, Now it was mine. It was a new Road Agent. Louis turned around to leave , and stopped. He said Gary, Can I hold it one more time , My father bought me this and this hurts. I said sure Louis , Here. And I swear out the door he ran. He had no clue where he was or anything.
Well Louis disappeared into the foggy, rainy , cold darkness. No one knew where he went. We divised a plan. I got down low in the back seat and Ricky was driving. Me and windowman were in the back.
We drove for 2 hours in the Cold rain. It was so foggy you couldn't see anything. Ricky and Windowman were , Windows down Hollerin Louie, Louis, Dogs were barking , Lights were coming on , I can't believe we didn't get arrested. It didn't look good, Finally Louis jumped in the car scared to death, He jumped in the back seat and I was sittin low , He jumped in back and there I was. To get my cue.
R.I.P. Louie, Luv ya man.
Gary Lutman

Old
  (#8)
robertg
AzB Silver Member
robertg has a reputation beyond reputerobertg has a reputation beyond reputerobertg has a reputation beyond reputerobertg has a reputation beyond reputerobertg has a reputation beyond reputerobertg has a reputation beyond reputerobertg has a reputation beyond reputerobertg has a reputation beyond reputerobertg has a reputation beyond reputerobertg has a reputation beyond reputerobertg has a reputation beyond repute

05-28-2013, 02:16 AM

http://rgrossphotography.smugmug.com/

Old
  (#9)
robertg
AzB Silver Member

05-28-2013, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlene View Post
Very nice pic of Louie Roberts! Also the one of Cole was great. Do you have a website to view the pics? I would be interested in purchasing a few if they were for sale.

Arlene
http://rgrossphotography.smugmug.com/

Old
  (#10)
robertg
AzB Silver Member

05-28-2013, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Lets see some other Louie Roberts pictures.
I'll take a look thanks

Old
  (#11)
JAM
I'm the one on the right
JAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 325

05-28-2013, 03:00 AM

I love these photos. They really capture the player's personality.

I purchased this one and can't wait to receive it! It *exactly* portrays a Keithism.
Attached Images

Old
  (#12)
robertg
AzB Silver Member

05-28-2013, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
I love these photos. They really capture the player's personality.

I purchased this one and can't wait to receive it! It *exactly* portrays a Keithism.
Thanks JAM!!

Tell us a St.Louis Louie story .......
Old
  (#13)
1 Lone Wolf
AzB Silver Member
1 Lone Wolf has a reputation beyond repute1 Lone Wolf has a reputation beyond repute1 Lone Wolf has a reputation beyond repute1 Lone Wolf has a reputation beyond repute1 Lone Wolf has a reputation beyond repute1 Lone Wolf has a reputation beyond repute1 Lone Wolf has a reputation beyond repute1 Lone Wolf has a reputation beyond repute1 Lone Wolf has a reputation beyond repute1 Lone Wolf has a reputation beyond repute1 Lone Wolf has a reputation beyond repute

Thumbs up Tell us a St.Louis Louie story ....... - 05-29-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Lone Wolf View Post
I remember back in the mid 1980's There was a tournament in Pickneyville, Ill. It is a town about 25 miles from Johnson City Ill. There were still a lot of the old timers around that went to a lot of the Johnson City that came to watch. It was a bar table event, It started on Friday and ended on Sunday.
Louis rode up to the tournament with Little Ricky, Windowman, And I think it was Watchez. Not for sure about Watchez, I think so because he was alway's with Ricky.
Well Sunday came and the tournament just got over, I think I won that one. Any way Louis started woofing at me to play. In the meantime it started storming like hell outside. Louis told me he would give me the 7 on the 1 Gold Crown they had. So I agreed and I busted him.
Now anyone that knew Louie, He wasn't ready to quit. He told me he would play me some 1 Pocket. I couldn't spell 1 Pocket. Long story short I think he gave me 10-6 or something like that. I , Was a bar box player, And that was by far, My best game.
A. . nyway I figured if I played a little smart I may have a chance. Louis never saw a shot he couldn't make.
Well the proposition went like this, Louis couldn't get staked any more that night, So he agreed to put up his cue agains't $ 500. We played and I won, My theory was to keep leaving him ridiculous long shots. That night they weren't going in.
Now it is like 3am , it is rainy foggy, Just plain nasty out. Louis handed me his cue, Now it was mine. It was a new Road Agent. Louis turned around to leave , and stopped. He said Gary, Can I hold it one more time , My father bought me this and this hurts. I said sure Louis , Here. And I swear out the door he ran. He had no clue where he was or anything.
Well Louis disappeared into the foggy, rainy , cold darkness. No one knew where he went. We divised a plan. I got down low in the back seat and Ricky was driving. Me and windowman were in the back.
We drove for 2 hours in the Cold rain. It was so foggy you couldn't see anything. Ricky and Windowman were , Windows down Hollerin Louie, Louis, Dogs were barking , Lights were coming on , I can't believe we didn't get arrested. It didn't look good, Finally Louis jumped in the car scared to death, He jumped in the back seat and I was sittin low , He jumped in back and there I was. To get my cue.
R.I.P. Louie, Luv ya man.
Gary Lutman
Can any one top one of my favorite Louie stories ???????

Old
  (#14)
JAM
I'm the one on the right
JAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 325

05-29-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Lone Wolf View Post
Can any one top one of my favorite Louie stories ???????
There have been a few threads about St. Louis Louie Roberts in the past. He was a character, loved by many.

His death is still mysterious to some. Some feel his life style would make a great TV show Dateline or 48 Hours.

I will see if I can get my other half to contribute one to this thread later in the week.

Come on Kieth !!
Old
  (#15)
1 Lone Wolf
AzB Silver Member

Cool Come on Kieth !! - 05-29-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
There have been a few threads about St. Louis Louie Roberts in the past. He was a character, loved by many.

His death is still mysterious to some. Some feel his life style would make a great TV show Dateline or 48 Hours.

I will see if I can get my other half to contribute one to this thread later in the week.

Hey Keith, Come on here buddy. I (know) You can top mine. Although mine is good lol !!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: